List of current vacancies:
1 | Information Technology (IT) Assistant (Deadline: 26 Jul. 2017)
2 | Cook / Baker (Deadline: 30 Jul. 2017)
3 | Project Coordinator, International Development Research Centre (IDRC) (Deadline: 30 Jul. 2017)
4 | Freelance Translators/Editors (Russian, Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Tajik) (Deadline: Position open until filled)
Information Technology (IT) Assistant
Position: Information Technology (IT) Assistant
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 26 July 2017
- Set up and maintain computer, communication and audio visual equipment (with your supervisor’s coordination);
- Assist faculty and staff with multimedia systems;
- Ensure that all equipment is in good running condition and make sure they are maintained properly and wherever needed are got repaired;
- Plan routine check-up and maintenance of all equipment and accessories (with your supervisor’s coordination);
- Analyse equipment performance records to determine the need for repair or replacement;
- Keep a log of day to day problems and resolution with the hardware and software;
- Give any kind of basic IT training to the staff if required;
- Perform on-site and remote technical support for staff when required. Respond to the request of the staff if help is needed for repair and installation of new hardware or software;
- Maintain storage of equipment; make sure the equipment and accessories are properly stored and tracked;
- Assist in IT equipment inventory management;
- Research the technology environment, evaluate resources to improve systems and network configurations;
- Perform periodic performance reporting to the supervisor to support capacity planning;
- Work closely with the IT staff to provide effective end-user support and issue resolution;
- Maintain communication with the supervisor on all tasks and projects; and
- Substitute IT colleagues while they are on leave.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences/Information Technology or related discipline;
- At least one year work experience in a field of IT;
- Experience working with computer systems, Hardware and Software;
- Good understanding of customer service skills, with an attitude to learn and improve skills;
- Good written and verbal communication skills of Russian, Kyrgyz and English languages;
- Knowledge of Operating Systems: Windows 2008 / 2012/ 10 (Server & Workstation), Linux; and
- Ability to work in the team.
Cook / Baker
Position: Cook / Baker
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 30 July 2017
- Cook food according to menus, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, and numbers of portions to be served;
- Apportion and serve food to students, employees, or visitors;
- Direct activities of kitchen helpers who assist in preparing and serving meals;
- Determine meal prices, based on calculations of ingredient prices;
- Plan menus that are varied, nutritionally balanced, and appetising, taking advantage of foods in season and local availability;
- Requisition food supplies, kitchen equipment, and appliances, based on estimates of future needs;
- Clean, cut, and cook meat, fish, or poultry;
- Clean and inspect galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation;
- Maintain food, beverage, or equipment inventories; and
- Monitor menus and spending to ensure that meals are prepared economically.
- Responsible to produce daily as well as next day requirements of the cycle menu or any special events requirements as directed by supervisor.
- Prepare pudding, gelatins, desserts both National and Continental, stewed and baked fruits, pies, cake, French pastries, icings, custards, fondants and various fillings used in the above desserts as per the requirements or when requested.
- Prepare sugar paste or icing, cream mixtures, fondants or meringue required in decorating or in the formation of special models used in the cakes and pastries.
- Bake bread, rolls, biscuits and muffins as scheduled or as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Make and decorate cakes with icing and suitable paste making flowers and writes on cakes when required or as specified.
- Maintain the cleaning of cooking equipment, utensils, fridges/walk-in fridges and bakery areas.
- Ensure good quality of all bakery products related to students and staff or official functions.
- Maintain related documentation and stock rotation of the items stored in fridges/freezer as assigned by supervisor.
- Responsible for the safety and hygienic condition of the bakery products and immediately report of damages/wastes and theft to supervisor.
- Provide training to the working staff as directed by the supervisor.
- Ensure work stations and baking equipment are clean as per “clean as you go” principle for self and others.
- Training in catering and cookery from a regional institution with 4-6 years institutional food service experience from public dinning;
- Knowledge of menus, recipes and preparation terminology;
- Knowledge of quantity cooking techniques and methods;
- Knowledge of principles of food safety and sanitation;
- Ability to use kitchen utensils and equipment;
- Ability to work in and supervise a team; and
- Respectful attitude towards superior and colleagues;
Project Coordinator, International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
Position: Project Coordinator, International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
Duty station: Satellite Learning Centre, Ishkashim or Shugnan, Afghanistan
Deadline: 30 July 2017
Summary of the Project
The project Pathways to Innovation: Strengthening Mathematics, Science, and Economic Policy Capacity in Afghanistan and Central Asia will be implemented by UCA. The project is funded by Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC).
UCA's SPCE will enhance the maths teaching skills of prospective teachers studying at Teacher Training Colleges (TTCs) in Badakhshan Province of Afghanistan through the development and delivery of mental maths blended-learning training. The intervention will train 120 students from three TTCs who are preparing to become maths and science school teachers, over 65% of whom will be women.
SPCE will also increase exposure to gender-responsive pedagogy and learning environments through training delivered to a broad range of stakeholders at TTCs, including those targeted by the mental math training, students from Badakhshan University, as well as teachers and administrators from rural schools in Badakhshan. By targeting a range of education stakeholders, this intervention will have multiple points of impact.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible to thoroughly understand and communicate management and donors’ requirements to appropriate team members, and manage all requirements accordingly.
• Coordinate and facilitate delivery of project objectives, manage and track implementation process in all locations according with work plan.
• Proactively communicate project status, issues and risks to SPCE management and UCA’s Development and Donor Relations (DDR) unit.
• Provide narrative project progress reports to SPCE management and DDR
• Follow UCA and Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan policies, procedures and regulations.
• Conduct regular status meetings will all project staff, keeping the needs and requirements continuously in view.
• Identify and coordinate resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities.
• Manage development and translation of learning materials for the project courses
• Control over introduction of quality assurance procedures on project sites.
• Work closely with Multi Input Area Development centres in all locations, minimise on exposure and risk on projects.
• Ensure project documents are complete, current and regular and timely reporting of project progress to the donors in liaison with UCA relevant units.
• Estimating and budgeting of project activities on regular basis.
• Operational control and regulation of the main indicators of the project: the course of planned activities, their pace; project quality; duration and timing; cost and other indicators (prepare realignment budget)
• Provide analysis of Grant Variance Reports on a monthly basis, targeted use of funds
• Coordinate promotional events on locations as required.
• Travel required up to 40% of the time.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Required
• Higher professional education in Project Management, Education, Economics or relevant profile
• Three years of relevant work experience in management of projects or in international organisation
• Strong communication, writing, reporting, financial and time management skills
• Ability to work with teams in multicultural environment
• Fluency in English, Dari (Russian is advantage).
• Advanced PC user.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to email@example.com by 30 July 2017. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Project Coordinator, IDRC”.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA i.e Tajikistan, Kyrgyz Republic and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
This is a 2.5 year fixed term appointment until March 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Freelance Translators/Editors (Russian, Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Tajik)
Position: Freelance Translators/Editors (Russian, Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Tajik)
Deadline: Position open until filled
- English-Tajik-English; or
- Ability to produce high quality translated texts
- Proofread, fact check, edit and revise translated materials
- At least 3 years of work experience as an editor or translator.
- Excellent command of writing, editing and speaking in Russian/Kyrgyz/Kazakh/Tajik.
- A strong command of writing and speaking in English is required.
- Experience working in an international organisation is highly desired.
- Ability to edit/review large volumes of information in dynamic and high pressure environments.
- Some knowledge of industry-specific terminology for example in education, construction, public policy, economics, public administration, mountain research, sustainable development, climate change, finance, economics, statistics, tax or law.
- Superior editing skills (substantive and copy) in a variety of styles and voices for a range of platforms.
- Sound judgement to manage confidential information.
- Experience in and knowledge of international development, capacity building, higher education and Central Asia a plus.