Summer University on Disaster Risk Management in Khorog, Tajikistan - Call for Applications
Training & Courses | 23 March 2017
Deadline: 23 March 2017
Locally-based but internationally supported research, tertiary education and training about the thorough understanding and assessment of hazard and risks and of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) is of utmost importance in this mountainous part of the world. Applied research of local conditions and developments, university and practical education as well as in-depth training of a broader community within mountain risk management will stimulate future mitigation concepts facing the challenges of climate and socioeconomic changes.
After the Summer University, participants:
- will understand the fundamental frameworks and concepts of DRR and resilience building (hazard, risk, vulnerability, resilience).
- can identify and analyse flood, flash flood, debris flow and other prevailing hazards in a high-mountain environment (magnitude and probability considerations), assess causes for the initiation of these processes (particularly in light of climate change) and analyse multi-hazard conditions.
- know how to analyse risks in a semi-quantitative and quantitative manner
- are aware of and can consider people’s perception of risks and their willingness to invest in increased resilience
- can develop risk reduction concepts based on changing natural and socio-economic conditions
- are familiar with community and ecosystem-centered DRR approaches and are aware of the potential and limitations of Climate Chance Adaptation (CCA) strategies for DRR (e.g. Ecosystem-based Adaptation)
- University degrees in a relevant field of science for professionals/practitioners from government agencies, NGOs and private sector participants.
- Professionals are required to prove professional and/or academic focus on disaster risk reduction (DRR) or related issues.
Working language will be English, and only very limited translation capacity will be available.
How to Apply?
The following documents need to be prepared and submitted online not later than 15 April 2017. Please prepare the required documents (2-4) before filling the application form:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), including relevant certificates if any
- Motivation letter* (1-2 pages)
- Detailed budget, in case financial support is requested (optional)
Please describe your interest and relevant (disaster risk reduction) professional experience and qualifications, detailing how the course will be relevant to your work, and in what way your institution is expecting to benefit from the summer university. Please list relevant professional activities, the tasks you are responsible for, and how the programme will help you to run them.
Costs to be covered by the participants:
- Tuition fee: US$300
- Travel costs to and from Khorog
- Food and beverages during the Summer University
Financial support (including up to 50% travel cost) is available upon request and requires the submission of a detailed budget.
- Local travel during Summer University
- Costs for documentation