Research Methods in the Social Sciences, 7 - 13 May 2013 Khorog, Tajikistan
7 - 13 May 2013
This course grounds students in social science research methods. Focus is on sound and rigorous research design. Students will explore multiple approaches to causal analysis. Students will examine case study, survey, experimental, game theory, and ethnographic research designs and assess the strengths and limitations of these approaches in effort to build theories in social science.
The overall objectives of the course are to provide participants with:
- A grounded understanding of research methods,
- Applied knowledge in how to craft compelling research proposals,
- An enhanced understanding of what makes for successful writing and presentations of research projects.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and execute multiple social science research designs.
- Identify the strengths and limitations of different research designs and methods.
- Write a research proposal that can serve as a foundation for undergraduate or graduate thesis.
- Orally present research concisely and in a way that engages academic as well as policy audiences.
Eric M. McGlinchey
Associate Professor of Government and Politics
Department of Public and International Affairs
George Mason University, USA
Eric McGlinchey received his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 2003. Dr. McGlinchey's areas of research include comparative politics, Central Asian regime change, political Islam, and the effects of Information Communication Technology (ICT) on state and society. He is the author of Chaos, Violence, Dynasty: Politics and Islam in Central Asia (September 2011, University of Pittsburgh Press).
Course hours (20): Tuesday 7 May, 14:00 – 18:00; Wednesday 8 May, Friday 10 May, Saturday 11 May, Monday 13 May, 8:30-12:30;
Location: SPCE Khorog, room. 101
Instructor: Eric McGlinchey
Office: SPCE town campus, room 320
Office hours: 15:00-17:00
Telephone: 8 3522 22277 (ext. 309)
The class will meet five times.
|Tuesday, 07/05/2013, 14:00-16:00
||Drafting Research questions
|Wednesday, 08/05/2013, 08:30-12:30
||Using Case Studies to Address Research Questions
|Friday, 10/05/2013, 08:30-12:30
||Using Surveys, Focus groups and Structured Interviews to address Research Questions
|Saturday, 11/05/2013, 08:30-12:30
||Using Experiments to Address Research Questions / Research Proposal Lab Day
|Monday, 13/05/2013, 08:30-12:30
||Presentation and Discussion of Research Proposals
Dates: 7 May 2013 -13 May 2013
Location: SPCE Khorog, GBAO, Tajikistan
Fee: 300 Somoni per participant
For more information:
126 Lenin Street, Khorog, GBAO,
736000, Republic of Tajikistan
Tel.: +992 (3522) 22 277 (ext.103)
Fax: +992 (3522) 22 778