The University of Central Asia seeks to fill two Full-Time Faculty positions in the Communications and Media programme at UCA’s campus in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic. Upon performance review and mutual agreement at the end of the term, there will be a possibility for fulltime continuing appointments. In your role as faculty member, you will be contributing to the development and implementation of a new Communications and Media curriculum at the Bachelor Level that has been designed in partnership with the University of Technology Sydney in Australia and individual course developers.
UCA's Communications and Media programme offers a unique integrated approach that includes communications theory, media studies, journalism and applied media with a storytelling approach. The programme mirrors current trends in the study and practice of media communications. Students will be equipped with a strong foundation in both theory and practical skills desired by media industries, including journalism, public relations, multi-media design, media production. They will acquire skills in writing and critical thinking, as well as knowledge in media law and ethics and the political, economic, cultural and social character of Central Asian societies.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
Academic programmes combine the student-centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As an international Visiting Faculty, you will be dedicated to teaching online classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure that they master and apply the material.
Lastly, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to continue their research and develop new research for UCA in Central Asia, actively creating pathways to engage students in the research programme. Applicants should thus be research active and have a commitment to establishing foundational knowledge for students in the field of Communications and Media. Priority will be given to applicants with experience in academic management and in the following areas of expertise:
- Digital Humanities;
- Social and Mobile Media;
- Digital Journalism;
- Multimedia Narrative and Storytelling;
- Interactive Design and Immersive Technology;
- Coding and Data Analytics in Digital Communication.
- PhD in Communications and Media with a proven track record of research in media studies and research supervision experience;
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Russian is an asset.
- Demonstrated subject knowledge and ability to teach the courses contracted for
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavor is essential
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students. At least 2 years of experience teaching at the undergraduate level would be expected.
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies
- Technical skills related to media production (TV/Radio/Digital/Print) would be a requirement for the media production faculty positions.
- Prepare and deliver one course of 6 credits including lecturing, feedback, and assessment
- Be available on-site and online for student contact hours
- Be available on-site and online for team meetings
- Maintain communication with Program Lead for any questions arising from students’ performance and overall course delivery
- Provide within institutional deadlines final assessment of students work
- Provide Program Lead course assessment at the end of the semester
- Coordinate with other faculty members for skills needed in the delivery of the course especially in the case of project production that requires media labs and technical knowledge.
- A proven ability to publish research in high quality journals desirable
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences desirable
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- Aware of current and future industry trends; strong network of industry contacts to support internship programs, project collaborations and industrial mentoring.
- Demonstrated interest developing critical ways to conceptualize and research empirically the relationships between media and communications technologies and the social world with particular reference to development and social change communication challenges faced by individuals and organizations in the region.
Delivery, Schedule and Responsibility
- Conducting classes on the assigned courses including teaching, marking and evaluating assessments as per SAS and C&M policies and guidelines
- Assistance and expert views in curriculum development and review
- Academic administration, supervision and management of Media Labs
- Student mentorship and academic advisory
- Contribution to communications and media scholarship and research with conference presentations, journal publications and faculty research initiatives as per the Faculty Workload Policy and Research Strategy.
How to Apply
To apply please send us (1) an up-to-date resume; (2) a sample of any published work; (3) two references (one to attest to your teaching experience, and another to your research experience) and (4) teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to email@example.com by 1 November 2021. Please use: “Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor” as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.