Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor in Computer Science
UCA’s Computer Science programme provides a well-rounded undergraduate programme. Mathematics is considered backbone of our Computer Science programme and is taught in multiple courses. Next, theoretical knowledge is provided and associated with applied programming skills in most courses of our undergraduate programme. In addition, hardware concepts and computer architecture understanding are provided to students to develop better command over all aspects of technology. This way, students are prepared to gain firm foundation to understand advanced software topics. Our curriculum enables our students to enter the world of technology with good understanding of all aspects, start their own business, or pursue study at a higher level. Alongside the Computer Science course work and laboratory work, practical projects are assigned in various courses to provide the capability of dealing with unanticipated problems and to share their findings in refereed journals. Annual internships are another salient feature of the Computer Science curriculum.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia seeks to fill a Fulltime Faculty position on a fixed-term basis for 2 (two) years in the Computer Science programme at UCA’s campus in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic. In this role as faculty member, you will be teaching the assigned courses and whenever needed you will be contributing to the development and implementation of Computer Science curriculum at the Bachelor Level that has been designed in partnership with the University of Toronto and individual course developers.
Academic programmes combine the student-centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all Faculty be fluent in English language and use it as medium of teaching. The Faculty will be dedicated to teaching classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure that they master and apply the material.
Lastly, the successful candidate will be expected to continue in research and develop new research for UCA, actively creating pathways to engage students in the research programme.
Applicants should thus be research active and commit to establishing foundational knowledge for students new to the field of Computer Science. Priority will be given to applicants with experience in academic management and the following areas of Computer Science expertise: Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, Digital Logic and Design and Computer Graphics.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science/Information Technology/Computer Engineering with a proven track record of research in Computer Science and research supervision experience. Preference will be given to candidates with a proven track record of teaching and research in Computer Science and having practical and research experience in different fields of computer science.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Demonstrated subject knowledge and ability to teach the courses assigned to;
- Ability to work independently, as well as flexibly within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavor is essential;
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and student learning experience. At least 2 years of experience teaching at the undergraduate level would be expected;
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies;
- Teaching experience and skill in the following areas of expertise:
- Prepare, deliver and administer lectures in the assigned courses and provide constructive and timely feedback on assessments;
- Be available on-site and online for student contact hours;
- Be available on-site and online for Department meetings;
- Maintain communication with Department Chair for any questions arising from students’ performance and overall course delivery;
- Provide reports related to teaching and learning within institutional deadlines;
- Coordinate with other faculty members on the delivery of courses which may include a wider range of Computer Science lab and technical knowledge according to the needs of the Department.
- A proven ability to publish research in web of sciences impact factor journals, Scopus indexed journals, ACM and AAAI conferences, NeurIPS, ICML and other top computer science venues;
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences desirable;
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset;
- Aware of current and future industry trends; strong network of industry contacts to support internship programs, project collaborations and industrial mentoring;
- Ability to publish research papers with undergraduate students.
Delivery, Schedule and Responsibility
- Conducting classes on the assigned courses including teaching, marking and evaluating assessments as per SAS and C&M policies and guidelines
- Assistance and expert views in curriculum development and review
- Academic administration, supervision and management of Media Labs
- Student mentorship and academic advisory
- Contribution to communications and media scholarship and research with conference presentations, journal publications and faculty research initiatives as per the Faculty Workload Policy and Research Strategy.
How to Apply
Please send us a cover letter, CV, a comprehensive Google Scholar / Scopus / Web of Science report, Teaching statement, Research statement (not applicable for Lecturer ranks), and contact information of three references (at least one to attest to your teaching experience, and another your research experience) and teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 October 2022. Applications will be reviewed when received. As your application e-mail subject, please write: "Faculty member in Computer Science"
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.