The University of Central Asia (UCA) seeks an exceptional leader for its Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology. Through a consultative and collaborative process, the Associate Director is responsible for developing and acting on a strategic vision of teaching and learning within the UCA community that will establish UCA as a leader in digital and distance learning, innovative outcomes-based curriculum, and authentic assessment practices.
The primary responsibilities of the Associate Director include institutional-wide leadership in the areas of teaching excellence; faculty professional development; curriculum review and development; digital and distance learning; the exploration of emerging and leading-edge educational learning technologies and practices; and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement a Teaching and Learning Strategy for the University and revise and develop policies to support the strategy
- Create a Digital and Distance Learning Plan that encompasses current trends and issues related to technology enabled learning in higher education
- Create strategies, policies, operational plans and processes for the newly established Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology
- Develop and implement professional development opportunities that recognize the importance of continual skill development in all stages of a faculty member’s career
- Oversee an onboarding process for new faculty in the School of Arts and Science.
- Develop processes that incorporate best practices in assessment
- Oversee the management and evolution of the university’s learning management system, as well as provide faculty support in this area.
- Support faculty members and departments in developing effective and innovative
- pedagogical practices through formal and informal individual and group consultations, and by offering workshops and other events and programs. Act as an advocate for scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning and work with faculty to advance the scholarship of teaching and learning across the organization.
- Participate on relevant internal, regional, national or global Teaching and Learning committees
- Develop and maintain relationships with external agencies and government organizations
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Faculty development experience
- Expertise in creating operational plans and processes for academic departments
- Experience in digital and distance learning and online course development
- Experience in academic administration, and human resource development
- Team building skills and a proven capacity to work constructively as both a team member and team leader at a variety of levels
- The capacity to balance the autonomy and different interests and viewpoints of faculty members with the need for an overall shared vision and commitment to the mission and vision of the university
- Strong conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of institutional and fiscal realities
Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential.
Knowledge of Russian and other Central Asian languages (Kyrgyz, Tajik, Kazakh) would be a bonus.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
This position is permanently based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, with the requirement of travel, as required, to the University’s 3 campuses in Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic and Kazakhstan.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV and contact information for three references to email@example.com by September 30, 2021. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Associate Director CTLT”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.