The Associate Director will assist the Director of Advancement and Public Affairs (APA) in overseeing the University’s fundraising campaigns and annual giving drives; develop and administer donor recognition policies; establish on-going dialogue and communication with existing and potential donors; and effectively track fundraising pledges, collections, and acknowledgement of gifts.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The candidate will be responsible for the planning and implementation of UCA’s development and public affairs strategies related to fund raising in Central Asia and globally. He/she will identify and work with high net worth individuals, corporations, international aid agencies, and the Ismaili community to address the growing operational and capital needs of the University. One of the key roles of the Associate Director is to encourage senior staff and faculty in developing attractive gift opportunities and fundraising proposals to garner support for capital investments, on-going academic programmes, new initiatives, annual giving, and alumni contributions.
In addition to responsibilities related to resource mobilization, this position requires the incumbent to have an in-depth understanding of communication and marketing techniques to effectively create awareness and cultivate a broad range of potential donors.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Director of APA in developing and achieving UCA’s fundraising goals, strategies, plans and objectives in Central Asia and globally.
- Identify prospects and develop strategies to cultivate and solicit major gifts from corporations, and high net worth individuals.
- Prepare fundraising proposals and gift opportunities for solicitating donations from existing as well as new prospects.
- Identify and analyze information pertinent to the development of relationships with potential individual donors and corporations.
- Prepare and present fund raising status reports to University officials.
- Develop and administer donor recognition policies, and establish on-going dialogue and communication with existing and potential donors.
- Visit donors, donor organizations, corporations, and foundations to raise awareness of the University’s programmes, new initiatives, and achievements, with the objective of soliciting donations and grants.
- Supervise and implement an effective programme of communication and stewardship for all donors and prospects.
- Organize events on campus and elsewhere to showcase key programmes and achievements of UCA, with the objective of creating awareness and seeking donor support.
- Plan and manage various campaigns and annual giving drives to achieve established fund raising targets and goals.
- Recruit, train, and oversee volunteers in various donor geographies, to ensure they become effective in donor research, cultivation, solicitation (where appropriate), and follow up.
- Establish systems for the effective tracking of fundraising drives, pledges, collections, acknowledgement of gifts, and timely collection of pledges.
- Cultivate relationships with Central Asian and international media to give UCA regional and global exposure.
- Provide strategic guidance to all entities and officers of the University on donor potential, communications and marketing, media engagement, and event planning and management.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of APA.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree, preferably in business, marketing, public relations, fundraising, government, or other germane fields. Relevant experience in lieu of a Master’s degree may be considered in exceptional cases.
- At least ten years of experience in the corporate, business, or marketing profession. Previous fundraising experience is desirable.
- The ability to motivate volunteers to engage with potential donors and ensure effective follow up.
- Maturity and ability to work with senior persons including UCA’s management team.
- Ability and stamina to travel regionally and internationally.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fundraising and communications for an innovative institution like UCA requires the ability to think creatively, and a strong commitment to the mission and objectives of the University.
- Demonstrated record of establishing relationships and rapport with the media.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Ability to speak Russian, Kyrgyz, Tajik, or Kazakh, an asset.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV and contact information for three references to www.akdn.org/careers/1869106. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Associate Director APA”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.