The Director of Human Resources will support management with the development, integration, and advancement of UCA’s human resource which currently number more than eight hundred. The position offers an unparalleled opportunity for a highly motivated candidate with experience of managing human resource in diverse environments. The responsibility of this position requires substantial familiarity with the challenges facing the countries of the former Soviet Union. Experience with human resources in the specific context of higher education and working with multi-national faculty and staff would be an advantage. Understanding of recruitment and retention policies and processes for international, regional, and national staff, is highly desirable.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and direct all aspects of HR functions, including the formulation and implementation of HR policies; establishment of HR systems: performance and rewards management; recruitment and selection; employee and industrial relations and learning and development.
- Manage, develop, and provide overall leadership and act as business partner with other units within the University in dealing with HR related strategic and operational issues, including competitiveness, internal mobility, fairness and equality, labor relations, talent acquisition and management, career development, knowledge management and sharing, and safety and security.
- To ensure that safeguarding standards are met and maintained in the University, raise staff awareness about the Safeguarding policies and procedures, including the code of conduct by providing training on the Safeguarding policies and procedures.
- Oversee implementation of SAP HR System Software in UCA.
- Develop and provide periodic reports on key human resource performance metrics.
- Develop and implement University’s HR Strategy by engaging department head and faculty management and key stakeholders.
- Meet the current and anticipate the future human capital needs in support of the strategic thrusts of the University. Develop and implement strategies for talent management.
- Develop the philosophy and strategies for competitive compensation and benefits for attraction and retention of faculty and staff.
- Review, develop, monitor, and ensure consistent implementation of HR systems including policies, procedures, and operating standards to deliver efficient and effective HR services which comply with the respective countries’ labor laws, in line with international best practices, fit the actual and future needs of the University, observe relevant local wisdom, and promote internal mobility.
- Develop and apply proactive collaborative efforts and approaches, which promote and maintain a conducive work environment encouraging trust, accountability, best practices, innovation, and growth for all staff.
- Maintain relationship and coordination on HR related issues with other units within the University, and with Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) agencies.
- Maintain relationship with other parties relevant to the HR functions, including the government and civil society organizations.
- Ensure timely addressal of all complaints relevant to HR matters
- Cultivate networks to identify qualified regional personnel in Central Asia or Central Asians living abroad in relevant professions and maintain updated databases.
- Develop strategies that are integrated into UCA’s human resource planning, to build human resource capacity in the communities in which campuses are located, including hiring and training opportunities for local communities.
- Manage, develop, and provide overall leadership and supervision of the HR team across the board for the HR units to perform its role as a business partner.
- Participate at the highest level in the strategic planning and development of UCA.
- Provide advice and support to staff on issues relating to Human Resources.
The Director of Human Resources will:
- Report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Work closely with senior management to ensure timely compliance with regulatory and contractual requirements and ensure effective implementation.
- Member of the UCA Management Executive Committee
Required Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate for this position will possess:
- An advanced degree in relevant field, preferably with specialization in human resource management.
- Significant experience that demonstrates success in the fields of human resources development and recruitment.
- Experience in managing, coaching, and training and development of staff along with demonstrated ability in creating and managing effective teams for complex, multi-site operations.
- Experience in handling conflicts, legal matters and disciplinary, grievance and safeguarding issues.
- Knowledge of best practices of human resource management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, including presentation, facilitation, and conflict resolution.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity, flexibility, and a multidisciplinary approach to work effectively with diverse constituencies at the local, regional, and international level.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with previous related experience in Central Asia or other CIS countries and proficiency in Russian as well as regional languages.
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of Russian language will be an advantage
- Knowledge of other Central Asian languages (Kyrgyz, Tajik, Kazakh) would be a bonus.
The position will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic and would require regional and international travel. Candidates from the founding countries of UCA i.e Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Tajikistan are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Salary and Package
Salary and package to attract the best candidate.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Director of Human Resources”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.