Faculty Member in Economics (Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / Professor)
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. The mission of UCA is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future. UCA consists of the School of Arts and Sciences (undergraduate), the School of Professional and Continuing Education and its three research institutes including the Institute of Public Policy and Administration, the Cultural Heritage and Humanities Unit and the Mountain Societies Research Institute. The University provides three additional initiatives to build teaching and scholarly capacity in the region through its Central Asian Faculty Development Programme, the Aga Khan Humanities Project, and its Research Programme. For more information, please visit http://www.ucentralasia.org.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia seeks to fill a full-time positions (any rank) in the Department of Economics based on its campus in Khorog, Tajikistan starting August 2023. While applications in all fields are invited, candidates specializing in Development Economics, Econometrics, Natural Resources Economics, Experimental, and Macroeconomics are particularly welcome.
In your role as faculty member, you will be contributing to the development and implementation of the Economics curriculum at the Bachelor Level. Academic programmes at UCA combine the student-centered environment of a small liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. As a Faculty Member teaching in small classes you will be providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure that they master and apply the material. The Faculty Member will teach four courses per year for undergraduate students, while contributing to the operation of the institution and performing service to the broader community. Specific courses to be offered are negotiable, conditioned on the applicant’s areas of expertise.
The successful candidate is expected to establish an active research programme, preferably on issues relating to the economic development of Central Asia, especially its mountainous regions. Creating pathways to engage students in the research programme, you will be provided support to continue your research and explore new horizons.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student-centred environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students are fluent in their native language and Russian.
- PhD from an internationally recognized university in Economics or closely related field. Candidates applying for the Assistant Professor position must have completed a PhD by August 1, 2023.
- University teaching experience at the undergraduate level.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students.
- Demonstrated understanding of pedagogy, i.e. developing new and interesting courses grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature.
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies.
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia or about the region would be a valuable asset.
- A strong record of applied research in economics.
- Regular attendance at and experience with presenting at international conferences.
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia is an asset.
- The language of instruction at UCA is English. Advanced Academic English is required, and knowledge of Central Asian languages (e.g. Tajik, Kyrgyz, Kazakh) and/or Russian would be an asset.
Timing and Location
- The duty station for the position is Khorog, Tajikistan, a small town nestled in the picturesque Pamir mountains. Education on the Khorog campus of UCA is face-to-face.
- The anticipated start date of the position 1 August 2023.
How to Apply
- Applications should be submitted online via econjobmarket.org (https://econjobmarket.org/positions/9246) consisting of 1) CV, 2) cover letter, 3) job market or a recent research paper 3) a statement of research accomplishments and future research plans, 4) a statement of teaching accomplishments (including evaluations if available) and philosophy and 5) contact information from 2 references. Junior candidates should also submit their graduate school transcripts.
- Position is open until filled but for full consideration please apply by January 31, 2023.
- Women and candidates from the three founding states of UCA (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, and Tajikistan) are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Initial interviews will be conducted via Zoom.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.