Mathematics Visiting Faculty Member
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a Mathematics Visiting Faculty Member for ONE semester (Spring 2023) with the option of extension to full-time Faculty Member, to have an active involvement in the development, planning, preparation, and undertaking of all academic upgrading initiatives related to Mathematics instruction within the duration of their contract. This individual is expected to teach two courses each semester from two/three cohorts of 20-30 international students by engaging students in problem-solving and concrete examples and applications to abstract ideas. The Mathematics Visiting Faculty Member's position supposes to ensure students are prepared for mathematics rigors and their application across other disciplines.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Mathematics Faculty Member will teach a series of Mathematics courses preferably Calculus-II, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics and Statistics.
The students should achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Apply mathematical reasoning skills to identify the scope of complex mathematical problems;
- Develop logical skills in writing program across computer science courses;
- Select mathematical techniques and methods required to solve discrete mathematics problems;
- Use computational strategies related to Graph Theory, Combinatorics, Probability, and advanced Statistics;
- Justify solutions through mathematical arguments that integrate multiple concepts;
- Use a variety of ways to represent and communicate the processes used and solutions to discrete mathematics problems;
- Use computational strategies related to Limits, Continuity, Derivatives, Integrals, and Vectors to explore mathematical concepts;
- Express statement and problems using precise mathematical language in new and familiar domains;
- Create a mathematical proof or disproof of a given statement choosing methods from different proof techniques;
- Use modular arithmetic and congruences relations in cryptography;
- Evaluate the correctness and complexity of the algorithms and use counting principles in computation.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s Degree from a globally recognized university in Mathematics or a related discipline where the individual had the opportunity to use advanced statistical methodologies (R-programming) would be ideal;
- Teaching Certification from a globally recognized university;
- Experience (5+ years) in teaching Mathematics in community college and/or university students;
- Native-like English;
- Experience in teaching Mathematics in English medium (3-4 years).
- A Ph.D. from an internationally recognized university would be an asset;
- Experience teaching Calculus, Discrete Mathematics and Advanced Statistics;
- Experience in R-programing and other statistical tools;
- Experience with Mathematics curriculum development;
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to other teachers, tutors, mentors, etc.;
- Experience managing student projects;
- Professional familiarity with Central Asian secondary and post-secondary education landscape would be an asset;
- Advanced Russian and some knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik or Kazakh would be an asset.
Rank of the Mathematics (Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/ Assistant Prof./ Associate Prof. /Prof.) will be based on the candidate’s prior experience and record. For the Rank of Associate Prof. and higher will be further evaluated by other University Promotion Committees and BOT approval will be needed.
The Math Faculty Member will:
- Report to the Chair of Department of Mathematics and Natural Science
- You should be prepared to relocate by January 15, 2023, for acculturation and to prepare for teaching starting in late January of this academic year.
Salary and Package
Commensurate with qualification and experience to attract the best candidate.
The job description is subject to change.
Candidates from Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply please send us (1) an up-to-date resume; (2) a sample of any published work; (3) two references (one to attest to your teaching experience, and another to your research experience) and (4) teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to email@example.com by 09 December 2022. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged. In your application e-mail subject, please write: “Mathematics Visiting Faculty Member”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.