The University of Central Asia is seeking a Physics and Mathematics Faculty Member to have an active involvement in the development, planning, preparation, and undertaking of all academic upgrading initiatives related to Physics and Mathematics instruction within the duration of their contract. This individual is expected to teach two courses each semester from two/three cohorts of 20-30 international students by engaging students in problem-solving and concrete examples and applications to abstract ideas. The Physics and Mathematics Faculty Member's position supposes to ensure students are prepared for Physics and Mathematics rigors and their application across other disciplines.
Overall Program Outcomes for Physics and Mathematics
The Physics and Mathematics Faculty Member will teach a series of Physics and Mathematics courses preferably General Physics I (Mechanics) and General Physics II (Electromagnetics & Electronics), Calculus I and II, and/or Precalculus.
The students should achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Apply mathematical reasoning skills to identify the scope of complex mathematical problems
- Use computational strategies related to Combinatorics, Probability and Basic Statistics
- Justify solutions through mathematical arguments that integrate multiple concepts
- Use computational strategies related to Limits, Continuity, Derivatives, Integrals, and Vectors to explore mathematical concepts
- Solve differential equations and application in physics and engineering
- Evaluate the dimensional properties of kinematic equations and apply them to non-accelerating frames
- Determine the properties of dynamical systems and apply Newtonian methods to motion problems
- Classify the different forms of energy and use the conservation of energy to work problems
- Relate a gravitational force field to the potential of a point mass distribution
- Solve well-defined numerical problems related to translational, rotational and oscillatory motion
- Design an original problem dealing with the principle of conservation of energy and linear momentum
- Derive well-defined mathematical equations to express problems in classical dynamics and explain the application of the equations in the specified contexts
- Relate an electric force field to the potential of a charge distribution
- Calculate the current and potential distributions in simple DC networks and apply Ohm’s and Kirchhoff’s laws for electrical resistance and apply Mesh & Node analyses for complex circuits
- Describe the behavior of various passive and active circuit elements (resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes and transistors) when subject to alternating emf's and use complex impedances to simplify such problems
- Calculate self- and mutual inductance from the laws of electromagnetic induction using vectors and basic calculus
- Demonstrate using simple laboratory techniques and computer simulations, the basic properties of electric and magnetic fields, and electrical circuits
- Understand the physical structure, operation, and characteristics of the bipolar junction transistors (BJT), including the NPN and PNP devices
- A Master’s Degree from a globally recognized university in Physics, Mathematics and/or Engineering or a related discipline.
- Teaching Certification from a globally recognized university
- Experience (5+ years) in teaching Physics and Mathematics in community college and/or university students
- Native-like English
- Experience in teaching Physics and Mathematics in English medium (3-4 years).
- A Ph.D. from an internationally recognized university would be an asset
- STEM Certification would be an asset
- Experience teaching Calculus, General Physics, and Precalculus
- Experience with Physics and Mathematics curriculum development
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to other teachers, tutors, mentors, etc.
- Experience managing student projects (especially in Physics)
- Experience in lab equipment like oscilloscope, function generator, power supply, DMM etc.
- Professional familiarity with Central Asian secondary and post-secondary education landscape would be an asset
- Advanced Russian and some knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik or Kazakh would be an asset.
Rank of the Physics and Mathematics (Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/ Assistant Prof./ Associate Prof. /Prof.) will be based on the candidate’s prior experience and record. For the Rank of Associate Prof. and higher will be further evaluated by other University Promotion Committees and BOT approval will be needed.
The Faculty Member will:
- Report to the Chair of Department of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- You should be prepared to relocate by August 2022 for acculturation and to prepare for teaching starting in September academic year.
Salary and Package
Commensurate with qualification and experience to attract the best candidate. The job description is subject to change.
How to Apply
To apply please send us (1) an up-to-date resume; (2) a sample of any published work; (3) two references (one to attest to your teaching experience, and another to your research experience) and (4) teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to email@example.com. Please use: “Physics and Mathematics Faculty Member” as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.