The candidate will be responsible for monitoring, assessing, and preparing recommendations for developing a communications and marketing plan of the University of Central Asia’s (UCA) programmes and activities in Khorog. An important part of the job is monitoring perceptions, developments, and trends within the public that are likely to impact UCA. He/she will be responsible for keeping abreast of developments and initiatives in Dushanbe and Khorog, and act as liaison between UCA and its outreach programmes with the Government and local communities. Overall, the candidate will help create a positive image of UCA, its mission and objectives, and pitch the University’s programmes to the wider public and targeted stakeholders through social media channels. Another important aspect of the job is to maintain effective relations with the media and government officials, and help in organizing UCA public events for maximum visibility and impact.
This position requires the candidate:
- To have an in-depth understanding of the mission and objectives of UCA to effectively communicate with various stake holders of the University, public and private, including donors and the media, and encourage their support.
- To identify potential donors of UCA and develop a targeted approach to cultivate and engage them with the University for subsequent support.
- To have an ability to develop a strategic approach to communications and create support for UCA through practical and innovative solutions.
- To generate support for UCA by specifically raising the profile of the University and proactively pitching its newsworthy achievements to local, national and international media, stakeholders, and potential donors.
- To contribute to and implement the University’s communications strategy and marketing plan in close collaboration with all the departments of UCA.
- To provide strategic advice and assistance on communication processes and procedures to the Director of Advancement and Public Affairs.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of the Aga-Khan Development Network (AKDN) and UCA’s programmes, initiatives, and developments in Central Asia, especially Tajikistan.
- Monitor and assess UCA’s communications strategy and marketing plan, prepare recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Work closely with UCA’s programs and schools to identify publicity materials, events and activities for greater media exposure and donor support.
- Cultivate, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with journalists, media representatives from Dushanbe and Khorog to help in publicizing UCA’s achievements and press releases.
- Develop a systematic approach to encourage media and relevant stakeholder participation in UCA’s activities and events.
- Identify and analyze information pertinent to the development of productive relationships with potential individual donors and corporations.
- Strong commitment to the mission and objectives of the University and understanding of the importance of confidentiality in all matters.
- Undertake other duties assigned by the Director of Advancement and Public Affairs.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in public relations, marketing, sales, government, management, or other germane fields;
- Demonstrated aptitude for public affairs work (across all platforms), with a minimum of 5 years of experience;
- Public speaking skills, and ability to communicate professionally to a wide and diverse audience when conducting tours of UCA;
- Ability to solve expansive problems using initiative and creativity, and the ability to identify and propose both practical and innovative solutions;
- Maturity and ability to work with senior faculty and staff, including UCA’s management team;
- Fluency in English, Russian and Tajik, with the ability to translate texts from English to Tajik and vice versa.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed when received, and the position is open until filled. In the application e-mail subject, please write: “Public Affairs Officer”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.