The University of Central Asia seeks to fill the position of Research Fellow-Individual Consultant at the Civil Society Initiative. Established in 2017, CSI highlights the importance of associational life in the well-being of communities and society and civil society organizations as drivers of efforts to give people a voice on policy and governance. CSI aims to foster a more enabling policy and administrative environment for civil society's development, including measures that unlock the potential of philanthropy to support activities for public benefit. It focuses on building the organizational capacity of a wide range of civil society groups and broader public awareness of their essential contribution to society. CSI also aims to become a centre of knowledge on civil society developments, contemporary trends and forms of organization and how civil society is responding to the major issues and challenges.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The Research Fellow will play a vital part in CSI’s efforts and will be responsible for implementing the “Advancing Gender Equality through Civil Society” (AGECS) programme, a partnership with the Aga Khan Foundation. Gender equity is a crucial societal goal.Civil society, specifically women-led organizations, play a pivotal role in advancing gender equity. The Research Fellow will initiate research; promote collaborative multidisciplinary inquiry engaging regional and international researchers; and develop CSI’s publications.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out CSI research projects and engage regional experts in collaborative research.
- Oversee the publication of research.
- Forge collaborations with communities of practice active on gender issues and assess their needs in skills development to improve their capabilities.
- Maintain dialogues with stakeholders such as government agencies, development organizations, civil society actors to promote the mainstreaming of gender equity.
- Develop and implement a public communications strategy for the AGECS programme.
- Work closely with CSI research and training partners.
- Contribute to CSI planning and reporting.
- Contribute to proposal writing to secure external funding of research projects.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- MA degree holders from reputable universities.
- PhD or equivalent (or very near completion) in a relevant field of social science.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in research related projects
- Advanced understanding of civil society issues and the Central Asian context with an appropriate record of publication, conference papers, etc.
- Experience of conducting original research in Central Asia.
- Ability to manage research and development projects, including budgets.
- Readiness to travel to UCA programmatic areas as required.
- Good analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills for interaction with colleagues and partners.
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written English and Russian.
- Knowledge of other Central Asian languages (Tajik and Kyrgyz) is a bonus
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 20, 2021. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “ Research Fellow-Individual Consultant”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.