Senior Manager Public Affairs
The Senior Manager will be responsible for monitoring, assessing and preparing plans and recommendations for developing a communications and marketing plan of the University of Central Asia’s (UCA), and in addition monitoring perceptions, developments, and trends within the public that are likely to impact UCA. He/she would be responsible for keeping abreast of developments and initiatives in the three campus towns, and act as liaison between UCA and its outreach programmes with the government and local communities. An important aspect of the job is to maintain effective relations with the media and government officials, and help organize UCA’s public events for maximum visibility and impact.
One of the key roles of the Senior Manager is to encourage faculty and staff to promote the achievements of their School, Unit, or Department’s achievements, creating and enhancing a positive image of UCA, its mission and objectives, and sharing the University’s programmes with the wider public. As such he/she must be an exceptional storyteller, with excellent writing and copy-editing skills in English, and fluency in Kyrgyz to communicate with the media.
This position requires the Manager to:
- Have an in-depth understanding of the mission and objectives of UCA to effectively communicate with various stakeholders of the University, public and private, including donors and the media, and encourage their support and cooperation.
- Identify potential donors of UCA and develop a targeted approach to cultivate and engage them with the University for subsequent support.
- Implement the University’s communications strategy and marketing plan in close collaboration with relevant departments of UCA.
- Provide advice and recommendations on strategic communications issues to the Director of Advancement and Public Affairs.
In addition to responsibilities related to enhancing communications, the Senior Manager will also be responsible for assisting the resource mobilization team with their promotional and audio-visual needs.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of the Aga-Khan Development Network (AKDN) and UCA’s programmes, initiatives and developments in Central Asia.
- Monitor and assess UCA’s communications strategy and marketing plan, and recommend continuous improvement.
- Work closely with UCA’s programs and schools to identify publicity materials, events and activities for greater media exposure and donor support.
- Cultivate, develop and maintain effective working relationships with journalists, and media representatives from the Central Asian region.
- Represent UCA at appropriate public events.
- Develop a systematic approach to encourage media and relevant stakeholder participation in UCA’s activities and events.
- Work in close collaboration with the Advancement Manager in developing and achieving marketing and fundraising goals, strategies, plans of UCA.
- Help to administer donor recognition policies, and establish on-going dialogue and communication with existing and potential donors;
- Must have a strong commitment to the mission and objectives of the University, and understanding of the importance of confidentiality when undertaking all duties;
- Undertake other duties assigned by the Director of Advancement and Public Affairs.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree, preferably in public relations, marketing, sales, government, management, or other germane fields;
- Project management experience from initiation to completion at a national level;
- Minimum 10 years of experience in developing strategic plans and analytical documents for policy or research institutions;
- Demonstrated aptitude for public affairs work (across all platforms);
- Previous work experience in Central Asia is an asset;
- Public speaking skills, and ability to communicate complex information effectively and professionally to a wide and diverse audience;
- Ability to solve expansive problems using initiative and creativity, and the ability to identify and propose both practical and innovative solutions;
- Maturity and ability to work with senior persons including UCA’s management team;
- Fluency in English and Kyrgyz. Other languages such as Russian, Tajik, and Kazakh an asset.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV and contact information of three references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Senior Manager Public Affairs”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.