Senior Research Fellow / Research Fellow
The University of Central Asia (UCA) seeks to fill the full-time position of Senior Research Fellow (subject to qualifications and experience) or Research Fellow at the Graduate School of Development’s (GSD), Institute of Public Policy and Administration (IPPA). IPPA was established in 2011 to strengthen the public policy evidence base in Central Asia. It provides in-depth analysis, in the form of policy briefs and peer-reviewed articles, on current and emerging policy issues facing the region and improves the analytical capacity of governments and civil society to use evidence in decision-making processes through professional development. The Senior Research Fellow/Research Fellow will be contributing to IPPA’s research projects in economic and social studies, through; grant writing and capture, organizing/conducting policy analysis, data collection and analysis, report writing and publication, participation in seminars and conferences, publication in international peer-reviewed journals and contribution to postgraduate and certificate/executive education. While applications from economists (or those in closely related disciplines) with all interests and expertise are welcome we especially welcome applications from those working in: macroeconomic analysis; urban planning and urban economy; health and labour economics; sustainable development and climate change resilience; food security and nutrition; agricultural and environmental economics; and business/enterprise economics.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Research Fellows are expected to carry out the following duties:
- Demonstrate and develop expertise in particular areas and methods, while actively contributing to a range of research projects in public policy and administration
- Conduct: quantitative analysis of macro- and/or microeconomic data; and/or fieldwork and qualitative studies; and be willing to engage in multi/interdisciplinary research
- Write academic research papers, policy briefs, analytical reports and assignments
- Publish in international peer-reviewed journals
- Contribute to proposal writing to secure external funding of research projects
- Engage with IPPA research partners, including other units of GSD
- Develop national and intra-regional partnership and networking
- Represent IPPA and GSD at internal and external events, conferences and workshops
- Prepare teaching modules on economic disciplines of interest, for GSD’s postgraduate and certificate programs
- Contribute to the administration of IPPA and GSD through: planning and reporting on projects; attending meetings/committees as required; supporting the organization of events; managing junior research staff; interviewing etc.
In addition, Senior Research Fellows are expected to carry out the following duties:
- Lead research projects through grant writing, capture and implementation as Principal Investigators
- Provide mentorship and development opportunities for Junior staff
- Leadership contributions within IPPA and GSD
Required Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Economics or related area for Senior Research Fellow position, or relevant experience commensurate with a PhD
- PhD in Economics or in relevant area, or at least close to completion for Research Fellow position
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of Russian and/or other Central Asian languages is an asset or a willingness to acquire knowledge
- Substantive and relevant research experience
- Experience in conducting socioeconomic research in the Central Asian context
Eligible candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
How to Apply
Please submit your application (cover letter, CV and contact information of three references) on https://bit.ly/42ElAxM by 25 June 2023. Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
UCA is an equal opportunity provider.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: https://ucentralasia.org/career-opportunities