Series of Online Workshops on Social-Emotional Skills for Workplace Well-Being
The training will be offered free of charge to all UCA faculty, staff, and students. For other interested participants, the cost is $50 per module and $125 for the entire series (3 modules) of the workshop. Participants will receive instructions to pay the tuition after registration. Participants must attend 90% of all sessions in the purchased module(s) to receive a certificate.
Training Format and Dates
MODULE 1: Communicating Effectively in a Pluralistic World
- Robin Higgins, M.A.
- Qamargul Esoeva, M.A.
- Elena Kolesova, PhD.
- Describe elements of their identity, and how culture and identity impact communication patterns.
- Define emotional intelligence and describe their strengths and weakness.
- Identify helpful and unhelpful verbal and non-verbal communication behaviors.
- Demonstrate active listening skills.
- Explain methods for regulating emotions.
- Explain effective methods for giving and receiving feedback.
- Demonstrate ways to skillfully express strong opinions and emotions.
- Engage in supportive and empathic conversations with colleagues.
- Understand basic neuroscience related to interpersonal competency.
MODULE 2: Conflict Analysis and Transformation
- Define key terms such as conflict, conflict transformation, justice, and nonviolence.
- Understand one’s individual and cultural approaches to solving conflict.
- Analyze conflicts using a conflict analysis tool.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how power, relationships, knowledge, awareness, and skills influence conflict analysis and transformation.
- Engage in specific skills such as problem-solving, compassionate communication,
- de-escalation and active listening.
- Apply a framework to transform conflicts to achieve positive outcomes.
MODULE 3: Workplace Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Robin Higgins, M.A.
- Qamargul Esoeva, M.A, and guest facilitators
- Describe personal wellbeing using the European Five Ways to Wellbeing and Gallup wellbeing frameworks.
- Define the WOOP method for goal setting.
- Design a wellbeing plan and report on obstacles and successes in its implementation.
- Explain principles of psychological first aid and how it can be applied during crisis.
- Define the elements of motivational interviews as a way of supporting positive lifestyles and productivity.
- Demonstrate mastery for acquiring the core skills of conducting motivational interviews for wellbeing advocacy.
- Explain the meaning and importance of mental health.
- Understand signals of mental distress and ways to address early symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Describe warning signs and interventions for suicidal behavior.
- Demonstrate ways to set personal boundaries.
- Managing resiliency
- Maintaining stress level