UCA-DAAD Doctoral Scholarship Programme 2023-2024
The University of Central Asia (UCA) in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), is pleased to announce forthcoming scholarship opportunities for Doctoral studies in Germany.
The scholarships are for students wishing to pursue graduate studies in the following fields: Computer Science, Communications and Media Studies, Earth and Environmental Sciences, fields of Applied Economics (e.g. labour, health, environmental, public, urban/regional, development, experimental), Political Economy, Sustainable Development, Urban Studies, Geography. These fields reflect the taught majors and research interests at the School of Arts & Sciences, The Graduate School of Development, and the School of Professional and Continuing Education. Where appropriate, preference will be given to research topics engaging with theoretical or applied work especially pertinent to the Central Asian region.
Applicants from UCA’s Founding states of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are eligible.
While the application and selection process for these scholarship programmes may vary based on discipline and institution of choice, all applicants are required to meet the UCA’s eligibility criteria and confirm admission at a German university.
The application will therefore follow a two-step process. Applicants may wish to informally discuss their interest by sending their documents to UCA. Selected candidates will then be required to apply and upload their full PhD application and documents on the DAAD portal, details of which can be found on DAAD website. Admission to a recognised German university for their doctoral studies starting 2023 will also be required for the DAAD submission. The final DAAD submission deadline for applications is November 30, 2022.
These scholarships are part of UCA’s ongoing Central Asian Faculty Development Programme (CAFDP) designed to ensure that scholars from the region are strongly represented in UCA’s faculty. Scholarship recipients will be required to work for four years at the University of Central Asia, after the completion of their studies in Germany.
This partnership between UCA and DAAD builds on the quality and is aimed to enhance the academic quality of UCA’s future faculty.
UCA is Central Asia’s sole regional university with fully residential campuses in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan and Khorog, Tajikistan with state-of-the art facilities, and with generous support for faculty to engage in research.
UCA Eligibility Criteria and Application Process
UCA’s Eligibility Criteria
All applicants will first be required to meet the eligibility criteria that includes:
- Citizens of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, and Tajikistan are eligible to apply.
- Interest in a Doctoral programme in fields reflecting UCA academic listed priorities
- Interest in a career within academia, including research and teaching
- Demonstrated competency in chosen discipline by submitting:
- A detailed current CV
- Personal Statement describing desired field of study, why you believe you are a good candidate for the scholarship, what your long-term goals are and your understanding of and commitment to the mission of UCA (maximum 2 pages).
- A detailed research proposal (maximum 3 pages).
- Degree and Diploma certificates and Transcripts
- Candidates will have to secure or submit evidence of admission to a German university for a doctoral programme with a named supervisor from the university before 30 November 2022.
For more information, email email@example.com.
📌 Join UCA-DAAD online information session “How to apply for UCA-DAAD scholarship”:
- Осtober 14, 14:00 Astana-Bishkek time | 13:00 Dushanbe time
- Осtober 21, 14:00 Astana-Bishkek time | 13:00 Dushanbe time
- November 4, 14:00 Astana-Bishkek time | 13:00 Dushanbe time
- November 18, 14:00 Astana-Bishkek time | 13:00 Dushanbe time
🔗 Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89353059830?pwd=dzBmc3BQZVBDZ2ZVTXMzck5GTFlGQT09